Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I'm backwards that's why i look forward...






So I should of used the first post to tell you about who I am?! I always do things like that. Im a creature of spontaneism.(is that a word?) Any who hey people...Currently I work with at risk youth in NYC. I was born and reared in Brooklyn. I am street smart and book smart. I challenge every thing i am told and investigate to come to my own conclusions. Since i don't want to overwhelm you I will inform you of the general things i have experienced and through this blog we will get familiar with each other.

I grew up in an abusive world and that is all we will say about that right now. I joined a gang when i was 12. I partook in a lot of unsavory and illegal things. I was also the youngest and the only one of my siblings not incarcerated. I decided that I would learn the system and save others.

I originally went to college for marine science. Yeah I know, I don't know what I was thinking either!. I switched to human service and criminal justice after taking some classes. I flourished in therapy...i stuck with C.J. In college I  was and still am an all star (elaboration will come later).  Damn I miss Connecticut. I continued to graduate school back in NYC (John Jay College of Criminal Justice). The whole time (since 18) i had been a counselor at various organizations not realizing my calling.

I have been counseling now for a little over 8-9 years now. I work at a transfer H.S in NYC. That's over age and under credited for those not familiar. So we motivate the one's everyone else discarded. I will always speak for those like me who without someone to be there will always be lost. This is what make's me want to jump out of bed and get to it. I will show them they don;t have to be a product of there environment and I will lead them to be productive citizens in this world..

In this blog I will share my life, my experiences, my stories, my hopes, my dreams, my failures in all hopes that it will make at least one person make a decision based on something I said or something i made them think about. That would mean I;m doing my job. Im a social worker....hear me roar!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment